by Danielle Leavitt ’17
As always it’s a busy time in Harvard Yard. Tourists travel worldwide to see the infamous John Harvard statue, students study between classes in preparation for midterms, and photographers take pictures of the beautiful landscape and buildings at Harvard. But, mostly unnoticed, the busiest of all is the scampering squirrel who is gathering acorns and food for the upcoming winter. Especially now that winter looms and the bright colored chairs in Harvard Yard have been removed, the squirrel is even more noticeable as he stocks up on his impending feast for the next several months. The gluten free Hershey Kiss Acorn Treat is made in honor of the squirrel, in hopes that this winter, unlike the last, will be short and that the squirrel will have plenty of food to keep him satisfied. This recipe is very simple, but it is the perfect one-bite party snack that has an incredible chocolate peanut butter flavor.
- Gluten free instant icing
- Gluten free mini vanilla wafers
- Hershey’s Kisses any flavor
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Chips
- Place mini vanilla wafers on a tray with the flat side of the cookie toward the top.
2. Squeeze a small amount of icing onto the bottom of an unwrapped Hershey Kiss and place it onto the center of the cookie. Let sit for a few minutes to allow the icing to harden.
3. Place a small amount of icing onto the bottom of a Reese’s Piece and place onto center and top of the cookie.
This amazing acorn treat is a simple and tasty way to honor the squirrel and enjoy a great gluten free bite at the same time.