by Danielle Leavitt ’17
Hot chocolate is always my “go-to” drink in winter when I want to warm up. Just tasting that warm, soothing liquid somehow makes the snow outside disappear. Recently, I was introduced to another cup of winter wonderland: a moist and chocolaty rich cake that is made entirely in a cup. Taking only minutes to prepare, this easy recipe is cooked in your microwave and will have you satisfied and wanting more! Best of all, it can be made gluten-free!
- 5 tbsp flour (gluten free)
- 4 ½ tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cocoa (unsweetened, most brands are gluten free except Ghirdeli)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp white vinegar
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 1/2 tbsp water
- Spray the inside of a microwave safe mug with non-stick cooking spray
- Mix the first 5 dry ingredients
- After mixing, make 3 depressions in the dry ingredients.
- Pour vinegar in one depression, vanilla in the other and the vegetable oil in the third
- Pour the water on top
- Mix well until smooth
- Microwave for 2 minutes
To make your Crazy Mug Cake taste even better you can add mini marshmallows, chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand are gluten free), M&Ms, sprinkles, shredded coconut, etc. This easy mug cake will not only taste great on a wintery day, but you could even have a cup of hot chocolate along with it!